478 Seiten, Kartoniert, Previously published in hardcover, Format (B × H): 157 mm x 236 mm, Gewicht: 744 g
Reihe: Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Verlag: Springer, Berlin
Allan Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors
Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors represents a detailed overview of cancer stem cells and their role in solid cancers. Comprised of 24 chapters, this volume will provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of this important and evolving field.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction of the CSC hypothesis
- Historical perspectives and the contributing lessons from leukemia
- Current knowledge regarding the identification and role of CSCs in various forms of solid cancer including breast, brain, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate, melanoma, lung, ovarian, hepatocellular, and head and neck cancer
- Molecular pathways involved in driving CSC function, with a particular focus on the novel convergence of embryonic and tumorigenic signaling pathways
- In vitro and in vivo assays, model systems, and imaging modalities for studying CSCs
- The clinical importance of CSCs for cancer management and treatment, including important implications for prognosis, prediction, and treatment resistance
- Consideration of the controversy surrounding the CSC hypothesis and important unanswered questions in this field
This collective work was written by a group of prominent international experts in cancer biology, oncology, and/or stem cell biology. It will serve as a valuable resource for established researchers, professors, health care professionals, and students in the medical and scientific community who are investigating stem cells and/or oncology.
Weitere Infos & Material
Cancer Stem Cells: Historical Perspectives and Lessons From Leukemia.- Cancer Stem Cells in Breast Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Brain Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Colorectal Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Pancreatic Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Prostate Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Melanoma.- Cancer Stem Cells in Lung Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Ovarian Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Hepatocellular Cancer.- Cancer Stem Cells in Head and Neck Cancer.- Relationship Between Regulatory Pathways in Pluripotent Stem Cells and Human Tumors.- Influence of the Embryonic Microenvironment on Tumor Progression.- The Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition and Cancer Stem Cells.- Application of Stem Cell Assays for the Characterization of Cancer Stem Cells.- Zebrafish as a Model to Study Stem Cells in Development, Disease and Cancer.- Imaging Cancer Stem Cells.- Mouse Models for Studying Normal and Cancer Stem Cells.- Cancer Stem Cells and Disease Prognosis.- Mechanisms of Radioresistance in Cancer Stem Cells.- The Role of ABC Transporters in Cancer Stem Cell Drug Resistance.- Resistance to Endocrine Therapy in Breast Cancer: Are Breast Cancer Stem Cells Implicated?.- Future Directions: Cancer Stem Cells as Therapeutic Targets.- Final Thoughts: Complexity and Controversy Surrounding the "Cancer Stem Cell" Paradigm.