Soviet Workers and the New Communist Elite
1. Auflage 2008,
296 Seiten, Gebunden, Format (B × H): 156 mm x 234 mm, Gewicht: 590 g
Reihe: BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies
Verlag: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Pirani The Russian Revolution in Retreat, 1920-24The Russian revolution of 1917 was a defining event of the twentieth century, and its achievements and failures remain controversial in the twenty-first. This book focuses on the retreat from the revolution’s aims in 1920–24, after the civil war and at the start of the New Economic Policy – and specifically, on the turbulent relationship between the working class and the Communist Party in those years. It is based on extensive original research of the actions and reactions of the party leadership and ranks, of dissidents and members of other parties, and of trade union activists and ordinary factory workers. It discusses working-class collective action before, during and after the crisis of 1921, when the Bolsheviks were confronted by the revolt at the Kronshtadt naval base and other protest movements.
This book argues that the working class was politically expropriated by the Bolshevik party, as democratic bodies such as soviets and factory committees were deprived of decision-making power; it examines how the new Soviet ruling class began to take shape. It shows how some worker activists concluded that the principles of 1917 had been betrayed, while others accepted a social contract, under which workers were assured of improvements in living standards in exchange for increased labour discipline and productivity, and a surrender of political power to the party.
- Geisteswissenschaften Geschichtswissenschaft Geschichtliche Themen Geschichte der Revolutionen Russische Revolution
- Geisteswissenschaften Geschichtswissenschaft Geschichtliche Themen Mentalitäts- und Sozialgeschichte
- Sozialwissenschaften Politikwissenschaft Politische Ideologien Marxismus, Kommunismus
- Geisteswissenschaften Geschichtswissenschaft Weltgeschichte & Geschichte einzelner Länder und Gebietsräume Geschichte einzelner Länder Europäische Länder
- Geisteswissenschaften Geschichtswissenschaft Geschichtliche Themen Militärgeschichte
- Geisteswissenschaften Geschichtswissenschaft Weltgeschichte & Geschichte einzelner Länder und Gebietsräume Europäische Geschichte
- Sozialwissenschaften Politikwissenschaft Politische Gewalt Revolutionäre Gruppen und Bewegungen, Bewaffnete Konflikte
Weitere Infos & Material
Introduction: Workers and the Soviet State 1. Struggling to Survive: Workers in July-December 1920 2. Sweet Visions and Bitter Clashes: The Party in July-December 1920 3. The Revolution that Wasn’t: Workers and the Party in January-March 1921 4. The NEP and Non-Partyism: Workers in 1921 5. Renegades, Oppositionists, Suicides and Administrators: The Party in 1921 6. Mass Mobilization versus Mass Participation: Workers in 1922 7. The Party Élite, the Industrial Managers and the Cells: The Party in 1922 8. The Social Contract in Practice: Workers in 1923 9. The Élite takes Charge: The Party in 1923–24. Conclusions: The Impact on Socialism. Appendix 1: Biographical Notes. Appendix 2: Districts and Workplaces. Appendix 3: Wages and Currency Rates. Appendix 4: Party Membership. Appendix 5: Party Members’ Occupations